July 2009 Training
June 29th - July 5th:
- Mon - 8.21 mi @ apt Rockhill/Webster loop after work
- 6:54, 6:12, 6:08, 6:08, 5:50, 5:43, 5:47, 5:36,
1:11(5:36pace) splits - easy run after working 10-8 today, wore the ipod and
just took it easy since the races yesterday. The last half of the run
I spent more time getting frustrated at my headphones as the right one kept
falling out the whole flippin' time!!! Legs felt very good on this as
it seemed like a normal easy run for me, again not looking at pace but just
running how I feel keeping it under control.
- Tue - 16.48 mi | 6mi AM @ Forest Park,
10.48mi PM Track Workout @ MHS
- 6:48, 6:17, 6:10, 6:12, 5:57, 5:59 splits - easy run in
the morning around Forest Park (ran perimeter loop plus some in the parking
lot to make it 6mi) Drills afterwards, weather was awesome as I ran
early morning! :)
- TRACK WORKOUT - 2K/3xMile/4x400
- no set goal paces on these, other than to run the 2K at 85% effort and
then the miles should feel faster, and the 400s to work on quick leg
turnover when feeling tired. I never looked at my watch to find out
what I was running till afterwards as I just went entirely on feel - I paid
for that, but for the most part it went well. The 2K was run mostly in
lanes 5-8 for a good chunk due to a little kids meet on the track so I tried
to avoid them if possible, that had to add a few seconds on to my split.
I took 3:30 rest or so before starting the miles (jogged a 400 plus some
basically) and then felt fine on the first 2 miles, the third one though I
crashed a bit and almost pulled off after 800m but decided to finish it out
feeling like I was running 6 flat pace...it was miserable as the legs just
would not go. I took 1min rest between each mile, and then after the
3rd one I took another 3:30 min rest before starting the 400s. Those I
figured would be whatever I had left and hope to be under 70 seconds at
least. Again, took 1min rest between each.
- 2K = 6:24 (4:59 mile split) - felt great,
probably a bit too fast though
- 1mi = 4:58
- 1mi = 5:02
- 1mi = 5:10 - this was the one that felt
like 6 flat pace, nice to know I still run this time feeling the way I did
- 400s = all @ 69 seconds
- My warm-up consisted of running 3.2mi which I think I was
rolling on listening to my ipod, did some drills and strides, and after the
workout I got in 1.04mi cool down...my body hated me then. Jumped into
the ice bath afterwards which felt niiiiiice. :) The wind really
picked up on the home stretch during that 3rd mile and the rest of the
workout which kinda sucked, but the rest of the weather was great out.
- Wed - 15.37 mi | 8.37mi AM @ Forest Park w/ Christy
(6.9mi on my own, last 1.47mi ran w/ Christy), 7mi PM @ Missouri River
Greenway in the Valley after work
- 6:58, 6:53, 6:34, 6:33, 5:49, 5:57, 5:09(5:45pace) splits
for 6.9mi - those first 3 miles of this run hurt like hell from yesterday,
very stiff, but eventually the legs loosened up and I could just cruise
along to my ipod. I ran around the perimeter and then looped back to
meet up Christy along Skinker and then join her the remaining 1.47mi back to
the start. She looked really good out there running and got much
further along before I met up with her, gettin' faster! :)
Weather was once again perfect - cloud cover moved in while we ran so the
sun was not beating down and I actually got chills at one point due to the
- 6:11, 5:49, 5:56, 5:47, 5:41, 5:44, 5:42 splits - worked
10-6 then headed out to the Nike Group run in Chesterfield Valley at the
Hardee's Ice Rink at 6:30. Everyone runs along the paved path but I
opted to just run along the gravel service road, nice and soft on the legs
which I really needed. A bit stiff initially but just got in the zone
(no ipod this time although I kinda wished I had it at some points) and just
rolled along. Been awhile since I ran here, nice and flat for the most
part - the gravel path I like better since you can't just stare straight
ahead the whole freakin' way. I went out 3.5mi and turned around to
keep the mileage low...even though I probably still got in more than I
should have. Felt very easy though and not stressing the body.
Drills afterwards in the parking lot.
- Thu - 7.53 mi @ Castlewood w/ Brad and Terry
- 8:10, 7:32, 7:32, 7:25, 7:09, 7:07, 6:39, 3:31(6:36pace)
splits - easy run at the XC practice tonight, ran with Terry and then Brad
caught up to us as we ran the "Mickey Mouse" loop from the playground.
Just took it real easy tonight on the trails.
- Fri - 0 mi, off day to keep mileage down this week
- Sat - 6.76 mi @ Fenton Social Run Gladiator loop
- 6:51, 6:50, 6:25, 6:19, 6:19, 6:28, 4:07 splits -
constant down pour this morning, as a few of us still showed up for the run.
It was a fun yet wet run...just kinda took it relaxed as the roads were
semi-flooded in areas, cool weather at least! :)
- Sun - 0 mi, off day to keep mileage down this week
- Weekly Total = 54.35 miles
July 6th - July 12th:
- Mon - 5.12 mi Francis Park loop after working 10-8
- 6:12, 5:46, 5:38, 5:37, 5:27, 0:36(5:16pace) splits -
pretty easy relaxed run as I just put on the ipod and let the legs
unwind. I really wanted to run more this past weekend but due to
my weekly goal I had to take more time off, so it felt good to get back
out there again. Trying to keep it down lower this week so as not
to over shoot again! Felt smooth on this run and had great music
going that I just got absorbed in them.
- Tue - 5.65 mi w/ Serena from MHS
- 7:19, 7:08, 6:44, 6:29, 6:23, 4:08(6:23pace) splits -
nice easy run w/ Serena before XC practice tonight, ran to Crestview and
then around subdivisions nearby and back to school via Clarkson.
While the kids ran I did drills and strides, then other supplemental
stuff and abs.
- Later tonight ran/walk w/ Christy from Windsor HS.
- Wed - 8 mi @ Forest Park before work
- 6:55, 6:25, 6:08, 6:04, 5:55, 5:56, 5:59, 5:55 splits
- ran one loop around perimeter then my 2mi loop around the Grand Basin.
Relaxed run to the ipod felt really good wanted to do more but just kept
it at 8mi to keep my mileage in check this week.
- Thu - 10.82 mi @ Clayton HS track w/ Christy,
TRACK WORKOUT, followed by roughly 20mi
bike ride @ Creve Coeur Lake afterwards
- 7:38, 6:54, 6:50, 3:25(6:50pace) splits - 3.5mi warm up
out to Shaw park around it and back plus a little in the parking lot.
Wore my ipod and just took it nice and slow.
- TRACK WORKOUT = 5x1000m / 4x400m
- Wanted to do something to just feel pace really, not anything crazy fast
or all out as have a race this weekend so didn't want to kill the legs
entirely. Goal was to aim anywhere between 3:00-3:10 on the 1000m
repeats w/ a 2min jogging rest (basically 200m or a little more) then jog a
400m for recovery after the 5th 1000m before starting the 400m which I
wanted to run at a slightly faster pace than I had been going to just get
the legs moving a bit. Again, keep everything relaxed, smooth, and
under control and not strain for any of this. Took 1min rest between
each 400m. Workout went very well as everything just went like
clockwork basically - no problems on this one.
- 1000m's = 3:09 / 3:03 / 3:04 / 3:05 /
3:02 ----- 35-36sec @ first 200m on all of them, pretty consistent pacing
for the most part
- 400m's = 67 / 66 / 66 / 65
- 2.04mi easy jogging w/ Christy for the cool down from the
school - after that we headed out to Creve Coeur Lake for the bike ride,
kinda like an extended cool down basically.
- Fri - 5.39 mi @ Castlewood after work
- Easy run, but felt like crap - first time I've really
ran in the middle of the day and the humidity kicked my ass literally.
Figure some of this is from yesterday's workout and bike ride, but wow!
I also had hit the left side of my head behind the ear on my bike coming
home the other day, which caused some swelling and a nasty pain which
hasn't really gone away, not as swollen much but still hurts - running
it just created a head ache with each step but tolerable...that was
annoying. We'll see how this progresses. At least it was
nice to be on trails, but didn't feel comfortable at all today.
- Sat - 17.53 mi | 6.76mi AM @ Fenton Social Run,
Moonlight 10K at night
- 6:36, 6:39, 6:17, 6:14, 6:05, 6:24, 4:07 splits - took
the social run a little easy as I plan on racing tonight, debated on doing
just the 5mi or the Gladiator loop...ended up doing the Gladiator loop
anyway. Legs felt a bit tired at the start till they loosened up some,
ran to the ipod.
- 3.29mi warm-up for the race - 7:26, 6:57, 6:50,
2:03(6:58pace) splits, ran the end of the course in reverse to get an idea
of what to expect nearing the finish - humid!
- 10K = 33:25, 1st overall by a
minute - 5:15, 5:26, 5:08, 5:14, 5:30, 5:36, 1:16 splits - very hilly
first 2 miles, then a good down hill, the rest of the course was rolling and
mostly uphill running.
- 1.28mi cool down w/ AJ, Kevin, and Josh - took it nice
and slow! :)
- Sun - 4.28 mi @ All Star 5K
- 10min warm up with Dorsey, body was not recovered from
last night as I left that race by midnight and didn't get home till about
1am, sleeping by 2 - woke by 5:15ish and drove down town...ugh...thankfully
did not plan on racing this after having run the 10K so treating it like a
normal run (had already signed up in advance and everyone gets a medal for
finishing). Figure we covered at least a mile in our warm up.
- 3.28mi = 19:39 - 6:24, 5:55, 5:47, 1:33(5:38pace) splits
- course was pretty nice, but the crowd was crazy, too many people for such
a short race. Got stuck in the back of the crowd to start so spent
5min just trying to walk to the start line, and by the time we got going
there were several people just walking and had a hard time trying to
navigate my way around without tackling others - several close calls as
others just step out in front of you...annoying. Tried to find Amy to
just run with her but she was too far ahead that I didn't catch her - I just
ran along scanning the crowds looking for people I knew that I could see as
I just cruised along at a normal road pace...didn't wear racing flats or
other racing gear to make sure I kept it a relaxed run. Went home for
a brief nap before working again....
- Weekly Total = 56.79 miles
July 13th - July 19th: cut back mileage week before increasing
another 6 weeks...
- Mon - 0 mi, rest day...much needed.. Worked 10-8
and chilled afterwards
- Tue - 12.35 mi | 6mi @ Forest Park before work, 6.35mi @
MHS w/ Serena before practice evening
- 7:07, 6:40, 6:15, 6:21, 6:00, 6:04 splits - ran perimeter
loop at Forest Park before work to the ipod, felt all right but not smooth.
- 7:39, 7:02, 6:53, 6:53, 7:05, 6:55, 2:30(7:09pace) splits
- easy recovery run w/ Serena from school, both of us just felt like blah on
this one. Stomach acted up towards the end for me. XC practice
- Wed - 7 mi @ parents home before work
- 6:52, 6:26, 6:04, 6:02, 6:08, 6:00, 5:58 splits - easy
run from parents place, just shake the legs out. Weather was nice,
rained earlier in the day so nice and cool out. Made a new loop.
Took about a mile or so to get the legs loosened up and then felt fine.
- Thu - 8.11 mi @ Clayton HS w/ Christy
TRACK WORKOUT AM
- TRACK WORKOUT = 2 x 6-lap
cutdowns @ 80,80,75,75,70,70 = 7:30 w/ 6min rest
1st set = 82,82,75,73,71,71 = 7:34, avg
5:03mi (5:12 first 4 laps, 4:50 last 4 laps)
2nd set = 79,79,74,73,72,68 = 7:25, avg 4:57mi (5:05 first 4
laps, 4:47 last 4 laps)
3.05mi warm up plus drills, then 1.5mi cool down before heading over
to IHOP for breakfast! :)
- Fri - 8.13 mi @ Queeny Park between work
- 6:34, 6:26, 5:59, 6:01, 5:45, 6:03, 6:01, 5:42,
0:42(5:21pace) splits - pretty easy relaxed run twice around the park
starting from the NW lot and running counter-clockwise, I needed to just
clear my head of stuff and let my legs just feel it out, allowed me to think
about things as I listened to the ipod. Miles 2 and 6 was the big dog
museum hill, the rest just kinda rolling hills. Felt good to be on
some softer stuff for once - I need to start doing this more often to save
the legs, can feel it a little bit in the quads, although I think largely it
is from last Saturday night's race on the down hills, beat them up pretty
good! Worked 10-2 @ CH and then 6-8 @ FE and after that met up with
others for pizza off of Grand and Wyoming! :) Good times
- Sat - 6.76 mi @ FE Social Run
- 6:26, 6:30, 6:08, 6:02, 5:44, 6:04, 3:49 splits - easy
run to the ipod again. Legs a bit stiff slightly at the start but
after 2mi things opened up and body felt comfortable. Mile 6 was the
big up hill. Perfect weather today - felt like fall with a slight
chill in the air! :)
- Sun - 10.28 mi @ Missouri River
- Yesterday was an odd day, plans backfired on me and I
wasn't planning on racing today but I just needed to do let my legs run the
frustration out so I opted to jump in this with hopes to run my legs into
the ground, or at least clear my head. Race was early and didn't
really get much sleep after spending some time at my brother's last night
talking with Brandi and him so figured that would also help in draining my
legs a bit. Weather was AWESOME!!! Mid July and it feels like
fall already, nice. The course is great for the first 3.5mi or so,
then there is a nasty up hill which makes you feel like walking it would be
faster than running, and a little ways after the 4 mile mark you reach the
actual top of the hill and then not too bad to the finish. Last time I
raced this event was just after graduating HS and it was not pretty -
29-30min range. I did have 26:45 in the back of my mind as a time goal
to shoot for or try and go for a PR, which would not be easy with the hill I
know but I got my 5K PR the same way....so who knows!
- 3mi warm up along the 4mi Snowball route from the store,
easy to the ipod - 8:01, 7:11, 6:51 splits
- 8K = 26:30 @ 5.1 miles, 5:11avg
- 4:59, 5:09, 5:09, 5:33, 5:13, 0:26(4:33pace) splits - course
ended up being longer, so the estimated 8K split would have fallen around
25:44-25:48 based on my pace overall -
that would put me basically right at my PR. Felt good overall, I
basically just cruised the first 3 miles pushing but not going all out as I
didn't want to kill myself entirely before the hill...first mile was mostly
downhill so the split was a bit fast, effort wise though was not that quick.
The first half mile I had a guy with me till we turned off Olive then he
dropped off and I was on my own the rest of the way. Had a decent gap
at the turnaround point before making our way to the big hill, and then went
on to extend that even more by the finish. After the 2nd place guy we
had a HUGE lead over the 3rd.....no one was close. I grabbed water at
the aid stations each time, never looked at the watch till I glanced at it
just before turning into the parking lot to the finish - it was just at 5
miles. Kinda bummed it would be long but oh well. Finished in a
26:30 which my splits were right on....definitely would be under 26min on a
flatter course than this. Recovered pretty quickly afterwards as well,
so despite trying to take my legs out that didn't work....but I did get a
nice run in at least and able to think about things while listening to the
Beach Boys music from the lead vehicle. : ) Finished 1st
overall, 2nd was about 27:15 or so, and 3rd was 29min and some change.
- 2.18mi cool down along part of the same warm up loop.
- Weekly Total = 52.63 miles
July 20th - July 26th: begin 6 weeks around 60-65 range...
- Mon - 11.11 mi | 6mi AM @ Forest Park before work, 5.11mi
PM ML/Francis Park x2 loop after working 10-8
- 7:30, 6:48, 6:31, 6:32, 6:18, 6:17 splits - shake out run
basically at Forest Park, felt like crap the first 2 miles then the legs
loosened up and was fine but took it easy the rest of the way...just cruised
to my ipod and cleared my head some more. Weather was awesome -
actually saw several people dressed for winter!!!
- 6:34, 6:10, 5:34, 5:32, 5:15, 0:32(4:55pace) splits -
easy run from apt after working late due to customer. Put on my ipod
and just decided to get a simple run in to loosen the legs some more but
felt pretty good after the mile and thought about just letting my legs
release some pent up stress - turned out to be a great run! Got
absorbed in my music and felt relaxed and smooth the whole time.
- Tue - 5.63 mi @ Chubb Trail before work
- 8:02, 7:21, 7:12, 7:12, 7:12, 4:51(7:44pace) splits -
easy recovery on trails. Took it real slow today and just enjoyed
being in the woods again...need to start getting back onto the trails more
as I go to increase my mileage.
- Wed - 9 mi in Valley Park w/ Billy early morning
- 7:22, 7:22, 7:14, 6:46, 6:39, 6:18, 6:02, 6:00, 5:47
splits - easy run from the parking lot in Valley Park near the river, headed
out on the roads working our way to Manchester Park, then back through
neighborhoods out to Valley Park HS. Good run as we talked about
things most of the way...started off easy and just worked into it, felt
really good and smooth on this. Nice and rolling hills with the
steeper ones at the end. Weather was perfect!
- Thu - 11.91 mi @ Clayton HS
TRACK WORKOUT AM
- 1.5mi warm up from track - 7:20, 3:24 splits, ran to the
ipod. Stretched and did drills before starting workout.
- TRACK WORKOUT = 6 x Mile cutdowns
(5:30,5:20,5:10,5:00,4:50,4:40) w/ 400m jog rest (roughly 2:30)
- (5:30) 5:22 --- 2:45 / 2:37
- (5:20) 5:12 --- 2:40 / 2:32
- (5:10) 5:00 --- 2:33 / 2:27
- (5:00) 4:52 --- 2:30 / 2:22
- (4:50) 4:42 --- 2:25 / 2:17
- (4:40) 4:42 --- 2:25 / 2:17
- 2.66mi cool down around Shaw Park - 7"17, 7:01,
4:41(7:07pace) splits, ran to the ipod again.
- Fri - 6.1 mi @ Forest Park before work
- 6:50, 6:16, 5:50, 5:44, 5:40, 5:46, 0:33(5:42pace) splits
- ran the perimeter loop in reverse this time. Ran to the ipod and
just cruised along - felt pretty good.
- Sat - 6.76 mi @ Fenton Social Run Gladiator loop
- 6:25, 6:28, 6:07, 5:59, 5:53, 6:10, 3:52 splits - easy
run with out the ipod this time since it was a light rain and didn't want to
bother with it. Turned out it didn't rain and got nicer as we ran, oh
well. Felt pretty decent on it.
- Sun - 9.58 mi @ Creve Coeur Lake w/ Paul and AJ
- 7:08, 6:49, 6:43, 6:57, 7:04, 6:55, 6:31, 6:39, 5:54,
3:20(5:42pace) splits - easy run around the lake with AJ and Paul. Ran
counter-clockwise for the outer loop, then Paul made it a half mile out the
2nd time before heading back due to some back pains, so AJ and I finished
out the shorter inner loop where AJ then left me once we hit Marine Rd as he
was running back to his place, I finished the last mile or so on my own.
Great weather and lots of people out this morning!
- Weekly Total = 60.09 miles
July 27th - August 2nd:
- Mon - 11.1 mi | 6.1mi @ Forest Park before work, 5mi @ Al
Foster after work at night w/ flashlight
- 6:52, 6:14, 5:46, 5:40, 5:35, 5:23, 0:28(5:29pace) splits
- easy run to the ipod. Didn't have a good night sleep due to my
neighbors below me for the 2nd night in a row - loud music or something kept
me up all night, get about 1-2 hours of sleep before waking up each
time...very frustrating. :( Must be getting old as this stuff
never bothered me before - I could sleep through about anything...kinda
- 6:43, 6:16, 5:55, 5:43, 5:41 splits - ran at night on the
trails in Eureka. Thought about not running but decided to go anyway
but I wanted something soft - I left my head lamps at home so borrowed flash
light from work and ran with that. Very good run, nice and peaceful
and very cool to just run under the moon light for parts of the run!
Felt good and relaxed, I miss these types of runs - been awhile since I ran
something like this.
- Tue - 10 mi @ home - car accident on way home from work
- 6:34, 6:15, 6:07, 6:01, 6:11, 6:17, 6:10, 6:08, 6:09,
6:10 splits - easy run to the ipod late evening after eating a large pizza
and watching some Heroes. Surprisingly went well, thought about not
running since the little car accident earlier, figured I might be a bit sore
from that but opted to go anyway and just see what happens. Been using
the foam roller to keep loose all afternoon, since I figure tomorrow may be
a different story! Run went well as I just made up a random loop which
included running all the way down by Carondelet Park and back via the River
Des Peres Greenway. Started to drizzle in the end which was nice.
- Wed - 6.1 mi @ Forest Park mid morning before work
- 6:51, 6:12, 5:51, 5:49, 5:45, 5:43, 0:34(5:45pace) splits
- same loop that I ran Monday morning, I am starting to like this direction
better. Worked at 2pm today so ran a little later in the morning, not
too bad but started to get warmer.
- Thu - 10.93 mi @ Clayton HS
TRACK WORKOUT AM
- 1.5mi warm up from track - 7:18, 3:21(6:42pace) splits
running to the ipod, stretched and did drills.
- TRACK WORKOUT = Race Simulation - 2mi,
2xMile, 2x800 w/ 400m jog rest on each
- 2mi (10:30) = 10:19 ----- 5:13, 5:06
- 1mi (5:00-5:10) = 5:01 ----- 2:33, 2:28
- 1mi (5:00-5:10) = 4:58 ----- 2:30, 2:28
- 800m (2:20-2:30) = 2:24 ----- 1:13, 1:11
- 800m (2:20-2:30) = 2:22 ----- 1:11, 1:11
- 3mi cool down from track - 7:09, 6:41, 6:32 splits ran to
the ipod, headed out to Hanley and back via Forsyth.
- Fri - 6.3 mi @ Francis Park loop before work
- 6:49, 6:14, 5:58, 5:51, 5:49, 5:49, 1:34 splits - easy
shake out from my place, ran my usual Francis Park loop but added on the 3rd
loop this time before heading home (normally I just do 2). Great
weather today! Stepped funny on the right foot on uneven sidewalk so
the ankle is a little sore, but not too worried.
- Sat - 5 mi @ FE Social Run
- 6:13, 6:28, 5:56, 6:30, 5:31 splits - took it easy and
just did the 5mi loop instead of my normal extended since the ankle felt
weird still from yesterday.
- Sun - 10.62 mi @ FLEET FEET Flat
- 2.5mi warm up along the Katy Trail out and back, stretch
- 5.12 mi = 26:07 @ 5:06 avg -
5:02, 5:03, 5:06, 5:12, 5:09, 0:33 splits - course was definitely
longer than 5 miles which was a bummer, based on my splits I ran 3 PR's this
morning...4mi @ 20:23, 5mi @ 25:32, and the 8K approx 25:19-25:23 based on
my pace...felt really good on this one as I took it from the start and was
on my own the entire way. The biker who was my lead vehicle took
awhile before he finally was able to keep ahead of me as I passed him a few
times since he kept slowing down. I glanced at the garmin once at the
turn around point (2.6mi around 13:09) and then when I saw 2nd and 3rd place
running I peeked at how big the gap was (roughly 400m at that point).
By the end I had roughly an 800m gap as 2nd place was 28:40. Weather
- Weekly Total = 60.05 miles