May 2009 Training
April 27th - May 3rd:
- Mon - 9.5 mi @ Chubb Trail w/ Billy
- 8:30, 7:09, 7:07, 6:48, 6:57, 6:56, 6:48, 7:25, 6:27,
4:08(8:13pace) splits - ran from Lone Elk and hit the Castlewood loop first,
then headed out along the Lone Elk loop and stayed along the river till the
clearing, then went left on the flood route to head back. Great
weather, cool with a little bit of drizzle towards the end.
- Tue - 3.13 mi @ MHS w/ Serena
- 23:10 @ 7:24avg - Ran cool down with Serena back to her
house from school, then she drove me back to my car. Pretty easy
simple run. Knee felt a little better at least, got in the ice bath
though back at school.
- Wed - 8.1 mi @ apt w/ Billy
- 52:33 @ 6:29avg - Easy run w/ Billy from my apt running
to the Metro Link and over to Francis Park for a loop, then to Wilmore Park
for a loop, south past Gravois and cross the bridge and took the River Des
Peres path back to my place. Good overall but could really feel the
knee on uphills.
- Thu - 0 mi
- Fri - 0 mi
- Sat - 5 mi @ Fenton Social Run
- Ran with Randy and Michelle for most of it. Took it
easy with the knee as it bugged me a lot on the hills still, but it was nice
to run with some others for a change. Good weather at least!
Track meet after all day @ Parkway South.
- Sun - 5.88 mi @ Run for Sight 5K
- 2.5mi warm-up to see how the knee felt: hated me.
Work was paying for us in this race so I felt obligated to at least show up
and run - I was wearing one of my Zhensa sleeves on the right leg to help as
my shin was hurting from the track meet all day Saturday as well as the knee
issue...I can't win. I didn't see anyone right away that looked really
fast so I figured I would just sit back and see what unfolds in the race
rather than really go for it - I started farther back from the line because
of that and the other people who all crowded up at the front. Josh and
another guy took to the lead and I probably was sitting back around 10th or
so for awhile, and luckily I was close enough to yell at them for about to
go the wrong direction as the police leading didn't know the course and were
about to turn the wrong way! By the half mile or after I had now moved
up to Josh and the other guy in the lead and as we headed back on Market
Josh and I took turns leading. By the time we came back around the
start just before the mile I was now in the lead and took it from there.
I felt very good as the race went on and just kinda lost myself in it and by
the 3rd mile the leg was not an issue and actually felt ten times better!
Won by over a minute.
- 5:17, 5:18, 5:07, 0:38 splits = 16:20,
- Weekly Total - 31.61 miles
May 4th - May 10th:
- Mon - 0 mi
- Tue - 7.15 mi @ MHS w/ Serena
- 7:54, 7:23, 7:20, 6:45, 6:36, 6:25, 6:17,
0:54(6:07pace) splits - ran w/ Serena on her cool down back to her
place, then I continued on along the path to Westridge and back to
school. Later in the night headed out to Westport with people from
work for drinks and good times!
- Wed - 8.12 mi @ Apt after work
- 7:12, 6:44, 6:26, 6:25, 6:13, 6:12, 6:16, 6:14,
0:46(6:18pace) splits - ran same loop as previous week or so with Billy.
Not the best morning, but body felt better as day went on so this was a
cleansing run somewhat.
- Thu - 10.7 mi @ Al Foster w/ Serena
- 7:34, 7:09, 7:00, 7:00, 7:15, 7:11, 6:53, 6:44, 6:57,
6:43, 4:44(6:46pace) splits - easy 75min run w/ Serena on the Al Foster
trail and added on parts of the Mickey Mouse loop in Castlewood.
Back to the start at 70min so we added on an extra out and back for 5min
to get the time. Knee held up pretty well despite some stiffness
- Fri - 0 mi
- Sat - 15.12 mi | 6.76mi @ Fenton Social Run AM, 8.44mi @
Creve Coeur Lake PM
- 7:07, 7:11, 6:37, 6:17, 5:52, 5:59, 3:35(5:18pace)
splits - morning run, added on the Gladiator loop but had to stop at
about 3.3mi for bathroom at the QT, felt much better after that.
This was a punishment run for me as I only got about 3hrs sleep from
night before! :)
- 7:09, 6:26, 6:14, 6:13, 6:04, 5:56, 6:05, 6:00,
2:32(5:46pace) splits - evening run @ Creve Coeur Lake with the ipod.
Awesome weather...got to leave work early, went home and napped about
2-3 hours before heading out to the park for a run. Stopped for
bathroom at 7.3mi and then just headed back to the start to keep the
- Sun - 0 mi
- Weekly Total = 41.09 miles
May 11th - May 17th:
- Mon - 5.08 mi @ ML/Francis Park x1 loop, Feder
appointment in the morning
- 7:19, 6:51, 6:29, 6:13, 6:14, 0:29(5:55pace) splits -
easy run from apt after working 10-8...more like a shake out run for me
to loosen the legs. Great weather out.
- Tue - 13.31 mi | 12.31mi w/ Serena @ Valley Park, up
tempo run for her, 1mi w/u and drills PM
- 6:44, 6:26, 6:15, 6:13, 6:09, 6:05, 5:59, 6:12,
0:08(6:27pace), 6:00, 6:43, 6:14, 6:24, 1:51(6:26pace) splits - trail
was flooded where we were going to run in Valley Park so did a road loop
instead, incorporating Vance Road, Hanna Rd to Big Bend, right on
Sulphur Springs and then through Manchester Park, along the outer road
near 141 and through the neighborhoods back to Big Bend, then over to
old 141 and crossed back over and eventually work our way back to Vance
and finish. I was good till needing the bathroom stop at 8.02mi at
the Hardee's along old 141 and Big Bend, then we hit the hills with the
6:43 split and as I hit the 50-55min mark my body shut down and I was
done as she left me. Not a good finish for me but thankfully my
splits really didn't suffer too much. I ate non-stop at work
though the rest of the day and really exhausted...
- Wed - 7.32 mi @ Fenton Social/Rockwood Summit loop w/
- 7:00, 6:48, 6:24, 6:27, 6:17, 6:26, 6:01,
1:56(6:08pace) splits - ran after work w/ Billy from the store.
Very humid out.
- Thu - 7 mi | 6mi @ Creve Coeur Lake w/ Serena and Boyd,
1mi w/u and drills PM
- 7:15, 6:36, 6:30, 7:03, 6:41, 6:21 splits - easy run
as Serena had Boyd in the BOB stroller. Perfect weather out for a
run, nice and cool with a good breeze. Boyd seemed to really enjoy
it in the stroller and held up perfect - he didn't even break a sweat!
- Fri - 0 mi, Feder appointment in the morning
- Sat - 6.76 mi @ Fenton Social Run - Gladiator loop
- 6:10, 6:44, 6:10, 6:21, 5:41, 6:07, 4:05(5:25pace)
splits - ran with my ipod again although had someone try to run with me,
so I had slowed up on that 2nd mile to loop back and let them know where
I was heading but by then they already had dropped back so I just
continued at my pace. Stopped for bathroom just over 4mi.
Great weather as it drizzled just a bit near the end, afterwards I had
the District track meet all day at Parkway Central.
- Sun - 3.5 mi @ Forest Park
- 7:21, 6:42, 6:30, 3:13(6:26pace) splits - easy run
before the Girls on the Run 5K where I was taking photos of people
racing. Awesome weather for a run!
- Weekly Total = 42.97 miles
May 18th - May 24th:
- Mon - 5.09 mi @ ML/Francis Park x1 loop
- 7:06, 6:40, 6:13, 6:07, 5:45, 0:31(5:29pace) splits -
easy run after working 10-8 again, nice and cool out weather wise as the
legs felt much better.
- Tue - 1mi @ MHS
- Ran mile warm up and then worked on High Jump to get
ready for Friday - yeah, I suck at this event now. =) Oh
well, it should be at least entertaining to those watching me attempt
- Wed - 8 mi @ Forest Park before work
- 7:05, 6:32, 6:22, 6:21, 5:52, 5:59, 6:08, 6:03 splits -
ran one full loop around perimeter and then added on a loop around the Grand
Basin to make 8mi. Felt good, legs felt it a little towards the end
those final 2 miles.
- Thu - 7.61 mi | Ramsey loop AM (4.61mi) easy, Francis
Park loop w/ Christy PM (3mi)
- 7:07, 6:41, 6:21, 6:22, 3:47(6:12pace) splits - run from
parents house in the morning, felt good and relaxed. Movie later in
morning with Bill and Jeff - got a free movie pass out of it!
- PM ran with Christy as we did 1 loop around Francis Park
and ran around the lake at Willmore Park, then Ted Drews afterwards!
- Fri - 4.2 mi - High Jump competition day!
- Ran 1 mile warm-up prior to the jump off @ Lindbergh with
Rachael and drills, then ran 3.2 miles from the CH store before working at
6pm as my cool down.
- Sat - 6.76 mi @ FE Social Run - Gladiator loop
- 6:52, 6:47, 6:23, 6:20, 6:08, 6:22, 4:05 splits - legs
felt stiff this day, mainly from the high jump yesterday I am sore!
- Sun - 5.09 mi ML/Francis Park x2 loop from apt
- 6:54, 6:26, 6:16, 6:03, 5:50, 0:24 splits - late morning
run before work, left hamstring was tight at the beginning but loosened up
on the way, felt relaxed for most of it.
- Weekly Total = 37.75 miles
May 25th - May 31st: Memorial Day Monday!
- Mon - 0 mi, rest day
- Tue - 6 mi @ Creve Coeur Lake
- 6:15, 5:42, 5:40, 5:42, 5:38, 5:41 splits - awesome run!
Just ran to the ipod and cruised along, felt surprisingly good at the start
and just rolled along not knowing my paces. Felt like I was running
mid 6 pace or so....not marathon pace!
- Wed - 8.16 mi w/ Billy before work, Rockhill/Webster
Groves loop from apt
- 7:29, 6:44, 6:32, 6:30, 6:13, 6:19, 6:12, 6:05,
0:56(5:56pace) splits - easy run in the morning from my place, felt very
muggy out despite the cloudiness. Good run overall though.
- Thu - 11.79 mi | 9.04mi AM w/ Serena around Ballwin,
2.75mi PM from hotel in Jeff City
- 6:51, 6:36, 6:43, 7:01, 6:39, 6:27, 6:22, 6:13, 6:43,
0:13(6:09pace) splits - ran from parents house out along New Ballwin to
Manchester where Serena and I met up, then ran to Bluebird and through
another subdivision, over to Maple and then back over along Clayton/Clarkson
and over to Mockingbird Park before turning back to finish at her house, she
drove me home. Good run, little bit of drizzle at the start but nice
and cool and cloudy. Leave for the state track meet early afternoon
with the guys team!
- 7:14, 6:43, 5:00(6:39pace) splits - ran close to midnight
from the hotel to help work off the 6 plates of food from Ryan's that
night...oh that was gross! :) An out and back run which was
really cool - a huge cemetery off to my right which was tempting to go run
around since all the gates were open...instead I stayed on the road and was
out in the middle of nowhere with lots of open fields that had thousands of
lightning bugs all flashing - very cool site to see!
- Fri - 5.3 mi w/ Nick early morning from hotel
- 7:19, 7:07, 8:24, 7:01, 6:35, 2:01(6:50pace) splits - ran
out to a conservation park just over 2 miles and ran on some of those trails
- not very ideal as it was like running the letter Z the entire time, sharp
turns so the pace was much slower hence the 3rd mile split, on the way back
though I gradually increased the pace for him. Great weather - clear
- Sat - 9 mi early morning from hotel, ran over to Binder
Park and back
- 7:47, 7:26, 7:00, 6:45, 6:20, 6:55, 6:52, 6:47, 6:19
splits - ran further West from hotel, first 2.1mi or so was in a hilly ass
subdivision! Then I took the outer road to the next exit along the
highway which was where we stayed in XC season and then stopped for quick
bathroom break before heading out towards Binder Park and then back to our
hotel. Good run!
- Sun - 8 mi Christy Blvd loop from apt before work
- 6:46, 6:12, 5:57, 5:57, 5:48, 5:45, 5:41, 5:42 splits -
an ipod run as I just went down River Des Peres Greenway and headed out East
after crossing the bridge along that path and hit Christy Blvd turning
around at 4mi just before hitting Gravois road again. Mostly downhill
heading out and uphill on the way back - felt very smooth, strong and
relaxed on this run and got absorbed in my music. Saw lots of people
out walking and biking.
- Weekly Total = 48.25 miles