April 2009 Training
March 30th - April 5th:
- Mon - 4.22 mi @ APT RD Greenway to Gravois and back
- 7:16, 6:56, 6:36, 6:15, 1:22(6:13pace) splits - easy run
from apt after work. Crappy run as it was windy as hell going out and
my legs just felt like blah. Even on the way back going with the wind
just didn't feel right for some reason...
- Tue - 0 mi, rest day and right ankle feeling weird...
- Wed - 8.45 mi @ Castlewood w/ Billy, made Fig Eight loop
- 7:35, 6:57, 9:11, 8:02, 7:44, 7:47, 7:24, 7:55,
3:02(6:47pace) splits - easy run as we cruised the trails and made up a new
loop since parts of the trail were flooded. Surprisingly it wasn't
really muddy despite the flooding.
- Thu - 8.32 mi @ Castlewood w/ Serena new Fig Eight loop
- 7:21, 7:01, 8:55, 7:52, 7:55, 7:51, 7:20, 8:03,
2:10(6:48pace) splits - easy run as we did the same loop Billy and I ran
only minus the little detours which made it a little shorter distance wise.
- Fri - 3 mi @ MHS before practice
- 6:52, 6:30, 6:06 splits - ran easy Germann loop before
practice plus 2 laps on track to get 3mi, then drills and 5x150m strides.
After work in the evening I came back for an ice bath.
- Sat - 16.11 mi | Meet Me At
Meramec 5K = 16:15, 1st overall AM plus 2mi w/u and 1mi c/d, 10mi
PM @ Creve COeur Lake
- 6:50, 6:31 splits - warm up around campus
- 5:02, 5:18, 5:24, 0:33(4:52pace)
splits - 5K race, goal was to try and get after a 16 flat pace so
aim around 5:00 or so first mile and see what happens. Started off
good as I quickly seperated myself from everyone but on the 2nd loop of the
course (2 loops) I obvsiouly slowed WAY down...not too thrilled with the
time but I held on for the win and ended up being a course record actually
(old one was 17:36 from 2007!). For my cool down I basically jogged a
mile or so and that was it.
- 6:49, 6:01, 6:07, 6:08, 5:48, 5:43, 5:49, 6:03, 5:57,
6:04 splits - easy run to my ipod at Creve Coeur Lake in the afternoon to be
as a shakeout run. Weather was awesome save for the freakish wind -
basically the first 4 miles was head on into a nasty wind where I literally
thought I was going to be blown away, it was ridiculous! I found some
roller bladers that I chased down and had fun with but I don't think I would
have run the times I did had it not been for the music to fall back on
during those windy segments, that helped get through that moment by keeping
my mind on something other than how miserable I felt in the wind. :)
I ran one outer loop and an inner loop plus some in parking lot to get the
10 miles. Legs felt perfect as I didn't feel like I was running those
times! Hope this doesn't drain me for tomorrow...
- Sun - 11.04 mi | Renaud Spirit
Center 5K = 16:25 @ 3.2mi, 1st overall AM plus 4.84mi w/u and 3mi
- Warm up consisted of 3.34mi easy, drills and some
stretching, then another 1.5mi to get 4.84mi total before the race.
Weather looked good once again!
- 5:07, 5:06, 5:16, 0:56(4:49pace) splits @ 3.2 miles -
race actually ended up being just over a 5K distance which really sucked for
my time as going back over my pace, the 5K split would roughly be about
16:00 which was right where I wanted to be at....oh well....another day I
guess. I felt MUCH more relaxed and smooth in this race than
yesterday. Perhaps it was the fact that at the start I let all the
little kids line up first and take off and then worked my way around them
all...or what I don't know. The plan was to try and slow that first
mile down to around 5:10ish - they had the first half mile marked so I
glanced at the time and saw 2:35 (5:10pace), perfect. I had a stalker
till about 3/4 of that first mile before he faded from me and then finished
over a minute behind me at the end. Even though my time was slower in
the results, actual pace wise was faster today than yesterdays (5:07 vs
- 7:46, 7:08, 6:57 splits - cool down I did out in CH on
the gravel trails to the ipod. The legs really didn't want to move on
this but towards the end I felt better. I was glad I got something in
at least since I didn't do jack after the race, just sat around and drank.
- Weekly Total - 51.14 miles
April 6th - April 12th:
- Mon - 0 mi
- Tue - 3.88 mi @ apt - ML/Francis Park 1x loop
- 7:11, 6:48, 6:39, 5:41(6:26pace) splits - easy run
- Wed - 7.07 mi @ Chubb w/ Billy before work
- 8:51, 9:35, 8:10, 7:34, 6:58, 8:40, 7:27,
0:28(6:59pace) splits - easy run starting in West Tyson, and included
the flood loop near Lone Elk just past the rail roads, very hilly for
most of run. Legs and body just felt sluggish, little run down for
some reason more than normal.
- Thu - 8.7 mi @ Castlewood w/ Billy and Serena
- 7:30, 6:57, 7:05, 7:04, 7:04, 6:40, 6:38, 4:50(6:52)
splits - ran the Mickey Mouse loop first and then added on more time to
make it an hour run. Start was a bit rough on the body, but felt
good as we went - trails in good shape.
- Fri - 0 mi - sick
- Sat - 0 mi - sick, went home from work early, slept all
day - running a fever
- Sun - 0 mi - sick, Easter Sunday stayed home and slept
- Weekly Total - 19.65 miles
April 13th - April 19th:
- Mon - 0 mi - sick, worked for a few hours but got sent
- Tue - 0 mi - sick, stayed home from work
- Wed - 0 mi - some improvement, able to work today finally
- Thu - 0 mi - deciding not to run till race day if I get
one good day in, make it that day
- Fri - 0 mi - resting
- Sat - 17.56 mi @ Double Chubb
25K Trail Race
- 1:43:09 time on watch, 1st
overall by over 10minutes in the 25K.
- Sun - 0 mi
- Weekly Total - 17.56 miles
April 20th - April 26th:
- Mon - 4.33 mi @ Mini Ha Ha park before work
- 7:48, 7:17, 6:59, 6:42, 2:13(6:45pace) splits -
shake-out run before work, legs really felt it at the start but
eventually loosened up some.
- Tue - 6.75 mi @ MHS after practice
- 7:10, 7:01, 6:46, 6:49, 6:51, 6:52, 5:12(6:58pace)
splits - easy run after practice, very windy going out (Lix Loop) and
then just felt sluggish the rest of the way. Sat in the ice bath
- Wed - 12.26 mi @ Grant's Trail w/ Serena on her
- 6:56, 6:16, 6:00, 5:57,
5:55, 5:50, 5:45, 5:49, 5:55, 6:03, 6:40, 1:43@.26mi(6:45pace),
5:38@.24mi walk, 8:30, 3:24@.30mi walk/jog splits - very bad
run for me after about 9-10 miles in. The 6:03 split I was already
fading from Serena and struggling to keep it together as my body just
completing shut down on me and became a death run back to the start.
Till that point I felt no problem...eventually I needed to just stop and
walk some, then tried running again and at the end just did a mix of
walking and jogging...not happy with this run.
- 11.26mi @ 1:08:49 = 6:07 avg
pace (amount I covered before walking)
- 12.26mi @ 1:17:19 = 6:18 avg
pace (total amount ran, excluding the walking)
- 12.79mi @ 1:26:21 = 6:45 avg
pace (everything combined)
- Thu - 8.33 mi @ Castlewood w/ Billy and Serena
- Not a good run for me as I struggled yet again,
really felt beat up from yesterday and the legs just wouldn't go, kept
falling back from the two of them and we weren't running that fast.
My right knee began acting up today...
- Fri - 0 mi - rest
- Sat - 9.38 mi | 6.27 mi @ Fenton Social Run AM,
Clarkson Eyecare Foundation 5K PM
- Today everyone ran the loop in reverse, and I added
on the Summit loop to get a little extra in. Felt a little better
as I got into it. Headed to work 10-5 after run.
- Last minute entry in this race - planned on showing
up to take photos, but ran instead...nothing great which was to be
expected - finished 1st overall in 16:38, well ahead of 2nd by about
2min or so. Hilly course.
- Sun - 0 mi
- Weekly Total - 41.05 miles
April 27th - May 3rd:
- Mon - 9.5 mi @ Chubb Trail w/ Billy
- 8:30, 7:09, 7:07, 6:48, 6:57, 6:56, 6:48, 7:25, 6:27,
4:08(8:13pace) splits - ran from Lone Elk and hit the Castlewood loop first,
then headed out along the Lone Elk loop and stayed along the river till the
clearing, then went left on the flood route to head back. Great
weather, cool with a little bit of drizzle towards the end.
- Tue - 3.13 mi @ MHS w/ Serena
- 23:10 @ 7:24avg - Ran cool down with Serena back to her
house from school, then she drove me back to my car. Pretty easy
simple run. Knee felt a little better at least, got in the ice bath
though back at school.
- Wed - 8.1 mi @ apt w/ Billy
- 52:33 @ 6:29avg - Easy run w/ Billy from my apt running
to the Metro Link and over to Francis Park for a loop, then to Wilmore Park
for a loop, south past Gravois and cross the bridge and took the River Des
Peres path back to my place. Good overall but could really feel the
knee on uphills.
- Thu - 0 mi
- Fri - 0 mi
- Sat - 5 mi @ Fenton Social Run
- Ran with Randy and Michelle for most of it. Took it
easy with the knee as it bugged me a lot on the hills still, but it was nice
to run with some others for a change. Good weather at least!
Track meet after all day @ Parkway South.
- Sun - 5.88 mi @ Run for Sight 5K
- 2.5mi warm-up to see how the knee felt: hated me.
Work was paying for us in this race so I felt obligated to at least show up
and run - I was wearing one of my Zhensa sleeves on the right leg to help as
my shin was hurting from the track meet all day Saturday as well as the knee
issue...I can't win. I didn't see anyone right away that looked really
fast so I figured I would just sit back and see what unfolds in the race
rather than really go for it - I started farther back from the line because
of that and the other people who all crowded up at the front. Josh and
another guy took to the lead and I probably was sitting back around 10th or
so for awhile, and luckily I was close enough to yell at them for about to
go the wrong direction as the police leading didn't know the course and were
about to turn the wrong way! By the half mile or after I had now moved
up to Josh and the other guy in the lead and as we headed back on Market
Josh and I took turns leading. By the time we came back around the
start just before the mile I was now in the lead and took it from there.
I felt very good as the race went on and just kinda lost myself in it and by
the 3rd mile the leg was not an issue and actually felt ten times better!
Won by over a minute.
- 5:17, 5:18, 5:07, 0:38 splits = 16:20,
- Weekly Total - 31.61 miles