March 2009 Training
February 23rd - March 1st:
- Mon - 0 mi, took the day off working 10-8
- Tue - 14.39 mi | 9.37mi w/ Serena's
FARTLEK, then 5.02mi @ SC Social Run
- 7:22, 7:01, 6:07, 5:39, 6:20, 6:12, 6:07, 7:05, 7:18,
2:44(7:30pace) splits - Joined Serena for her workout which consisted of
15min warm-up / 10 x 2 min on with 1 min rest /
15min cool down. We ran from her place, and due to traffic
went 17min for the warm-up before starting, and I just left the garmin going
on mile splits and not actual splits of our workout. The first two she
took them pretty fast which I definitely could feel it, but then we finally
established a pace for each one after. When we finished the last surge
we split 7.26mi overall, and going back over the splits on my computer with
the garmin we were covering anywhere between .31mi to .37mi for each 2min
segment, and around .12mi to .17mi for each 1min, then we just continued
easy running back to her place along Manchester road. Decent weather,
but dropped 10 degrees in the time it took me to drive from 141 to her
place! Was 55 but then was 45-47 degrees during the run.
- 7:14, 6:57, 6:40, 6:22, 6:28, 0:09(6:38pace) splits -
Decided to go ahead and run at the social run in Saint Charles that evening,
and started off with AJ, Josh and Jeff for the first half mile till Jeff
took off so I went with him and then it was just the two of us the rest of
the run talking. Felt good. Got drinks later
- Wed - 5.08 mi @ Metro Link to Francis Park loop
- 7:08, 6:34, 6:25, 6:28, 6:19, 0:24(6:11pace) splits -
very easy run before work, basically a shakeout. Felt a little
sluggish which I figured was more from yesterday's two runs than anything
else. Ran up to Metro Link station via the paved path and back down
the other side on the gravel one before heading over to Francis Park for 2
loops in the grass and then back to the apt the basic way. Relaxing
run overall and great weather! Warming up...
- Thu - 15.15 mi | 8.29mi w/ Serena
TEMPO, followed by 1.86mi trail run, then Social Run
- Serena had a 45min tempo run where we ran out along the
paved and gravel paths by Glencoe Mini Train Station. We took the
first 5min as a warm-up before starting the 45min. I had her talking
the whole time till perhaps the final 2 miles or so when it was just me
talking, but overall I felt great - pretty much like a normal run which is
good. Serena ran very well and kept things nice and even so she is
getting stronger each week now - our 6:12 split should have probably been
more closer to 6:00 but that involved a brief slow down with our turn around
to head back, otherwise the rest felt smooth. Weather was awesome as
it got sunny towards the end and in the 60s! Only got 1:14 in for a
cool down as she was pressed for time, so after she left I chose to run this
dirt trail nearby that said it was 2 miles (garmin had it short)
5:01(7:10pace) warm-up @ .70 mi
6:15, 5:58, 5:54, 6:12, 5:54, 6:02,
5:57, 2:44(6:03pace) tempo @ 7.45 mi
1:14(9:12pace) cool down @ .14 mi
- 8:36, 5:44(6:42pace) splits - Ran the Turkey Ridge Trail
from the parking lot as my cool down. Nice trail - first .5mi is all
up hill and lots of zig-zags, then you get .25mi downhill which is great
footing, then another .25mi uphill. From the mile mark back to the
start is basically all downhill but thankfully very little to no zig-zagging.
Weather was perfect on this as clear skies and sunny, made for a very cool
trail run! Posted sign says it is 2 miles but garmin had it 1.86
- Planning on running the Social Run again tonight with
Serena for an easy 5 miler...
- Fri - 5.16 mi @ MHS Library loop
- 8:29, 8:00, 7:11, 7:11, 7:13, 1:10(7:13pace) splits -
easy run w/ Nick, Scott and Jake from school - Jake ran with us for
first 2 miles before splitting off then Nick, Scott and I continued on.
Worked 10-2 then 6-8 so ran between work. Also ran .5mi before
- Sat - 5 mi @ Fenton Social Run
- 7:10, 6:13, 6:14, 5:58, 5:45 splits - Ran loop in
reverse, liked this route better. Wore the iPod on this and just
cruised along, felt good.
- Sun - 12 mi @ Creve Coeur Lake w/ Billy and Jeff
- 7:15, 6:48, 6:39, 6:46, 6:37, 6:34, 6:22, 6:16, 6:13,
6:17, 6:21, 6:16 splits - ran before work, 2 loops around the park.
Billy ran 1 loop with us, then it was just Jeff and I the second loop.
Felt good, very windy on the final 2-3 miles of each loop.
- Weekly Total - 56.77 miles
March 2nd - March 8th: Track season starts Monday
- Mon - 0 mi, rest
- Tue - 7.01 mi @ SC Social Run
- 6:45, 6:28 splits - 2mi warm-up run and drills before
social run. Ran the first mile out and back along course
- 6:31, 6:31, 6:05, 5:59, 5:45 splits - Social run with
Jeff, felt good as we talked whole time. Nice weather, windy
- Wed - 8 mi @ Chubb - MUDDY!!!
- 7:29, 6:59, 7:08, 8:06, 7:21, 7:46, 7:47, 7:30 splits -
easy recovery run basically on the trails. Hoped they'd be dry and
looked that way but once you put the foot down it was muddy as hell, so not
a very good recovery run, plus not to mention I hadn't really eaten much
since before track practice the day before I was running on empty and it
showed...miserable run the final 30 minutes. Ran this before work,
sunny and nice out at least
- Thu - 14.37 mi | 9.12mi w/ Serena @ Al Foster
TEMPO, then 5.25mi @ social run in
evening w/ Serena and Billy
- 50min tempo run w/ Serena again on the trails, out and
back. Great weather as it was 68 or so, but very windy. Ran this
early afternoon before track practice. First 5min we ran as a warm-up
then got into the workout, and got about 1:44 for cool down before we hit
the cars. Tried to take this one a little slower pace wise than the
previous week, didn't really happen, but she ran this one much better I
thought and had a better finish
- 5:01(7:11pace) warm-up @ .70mi
- 6:16, 6:09, 6:09, 6:11, 6:07, 5:57,
5:55, 5:53, 1:17(5:54pace) @ 8.22mi
- 1:44(8:44pace) cool down @ .20mi
- 7:06, 6:33, 6:34, 6:32, 6:35, 1:39(6:34pace) splits -
easy recovery run w/ Billy and Serena at the social run, finished the 5mi
around 33:40 or so but Serena wanted to get in 35min so I continued with
her. Felt good.
- Fri - 2.5 mi @ MHS
- 7:00, 6:35, 3:09(6:19pace) splits - easy run before
practice plus drills. Originally planned on taking day off but
couldn't pass up 86 degree weather! Felt hot out for once, practice
though was cooler as cloud cover moved in.
- Sat - 5 mi @ FE Social Run
- 7:01, 6:07, 6:10, 5:55, 5:53 splits - ran this reverse
again, a little faster than previous week but felt slower which is good.
Ran with the iPod again and we had a bunch of new faces out which was great!
Amazing what 70 degrees at 7am can do!
- Sun - 15.63 mi @ Creve Coeur w/ Serena,
- Serena had 100min progressive run this week so joined her
again with the garmin to help pace her. Weather was awesome, very
windy in some spots so tried to avoid that if possible, but from mile 12 to
13 was directly into the wind which slowed us greatly, other than that the
rest of it was good. We had to make two pit stops along the way, she
at mile 5 and myself at 12.75, but good other than that. This one I
could feel the need for some sort of gel or something since we went 1:40:00,
was dragging towards the end despite the legs moving along. The final
2 miles we took turns leading and pushing the pace which was helpful.
Once we finished all hell broke loose with the storms and it poured like
crazy, with a little bit of hail and crazy winds....then in a few minutes it
was sunny and clear skies. Weird.
- 7:42, 7:13, 6:58, 6:41, 6:34, 6:39,
6:37, 6:24, 6:18, 6:08, 5:52, 5:48, 6:01, 5:55, 5:32, 3:33(5:38pace) splits
- 5 mile splits were perfect: 35:08, 32:06, 29:08
- Weekly Total - 52.51 miles
March 9th - March 15th:
- Mon - 5.24 mi @ apt
- 7:20, 6:54, 6:39, 6:27, 6:31, 1:36(6:35pace) splits -
easy shake-out run after working 10-8 and watching Hero's till 9, so ran
around 10pm from the apt, very easy run to loosen the legs from today and
- Tue - 6.4 mi @ MHS w/ Serena after practice
- 7:39, 7:15, 7:14, 7:09, 6:55, 6:52, 2:39(6:33pace) splits
- ran a modified YMCA loop as she only needed about 40-45min easy run, we
took this relatively relaxed. On the way back with about 2mi left or
so was when the storm hit and it just down poured like crazy and the temps
really dropped - we were entirely drenched at this point for the rest of the
- Wed - 0 mi - rest day
- Thu - 15.77 mi | 10.07mi AM w/ Serena on
TEMPO run, 5.7mi PM w/ Serena easy from
- Serena had a 55min tempo run this week so we ran the
usual - did a short warmup and then eased our way into the tempo - paces
were a bit slower than previous ones, but on the whole this one actually
went much better I thought for her, she was able to continue carrying on a
conversation with me for the most part.
- 5:01(7:19pace) warm-up @ .69mi
- 6:28, 6:19, 6:18, 6:13, 6:11, 6:04,
5:55, 5:52, 5:34(5:49pace) tempo @ 8.96mi
- 3:13(7:38pace) cool down @ .42mi
- After track practice ran a Highcroft loop from school w/
Serena. Legs felt a bit weird at the start, mainly from my demos in
practice but loosened up as we went. After we finished I did 4x150m
strides on the track.
- 7:23, 7:03, 6:56, 6:54, 6:55, 4:47(6:50pace)
- Fri - 8.14 mi @ Queeny
- 7:05, 6:23, 6:10, 6:16, 6:22, 6:17, 6:15, 6:17,
0:51(6:13pace) splits - easy run twice around the perimeter of the park
before work - great weather! Pre-race run basically just cruising
along, legs felt good.
- Sat - 9 mi | ST. PAT's 5M RACE =
25:51, 12th overall / 9th age group
- 5:02, 5:08, 5:13, 5:27, 4:55
splits - finished 1 second off my PR from last fall, so really
happy that I got under 26min again which was mainly what I had hoped to run.
Not sure where the speed came from in that final mile but something clicked.
Went out with the leaders for the first mile just to see really how long I
could hold but as this was my first race back from the marathon I definitely
felt a bit rusty, or the cobwebs in the legs, so as one can see in the
splits I faded. Thankfully there was a tight pack of us all together
so I tried to stick with as many of those guys as possible and keep pushing.
Overall not a bad race, especially since I ran this back in 2007 for 10th
and was 26:23 or so...this year was a lot more loaded with 13 guys under
26min, 2 under 25min. Got in about 3mi warm-up and then roughly a mile
cool down, hung around a little bit before taking off to work 12-5 in Fenton
- Sun - 15 mi @ Creve Coeur Lake to Katy Trail w/ Serena
- 7:38, 7:10, 7:01, 7:05, 7:08, 6:57, 6:58, 6:57, 6:53,
6:56, 7:06, 6:57, 6:51, 6:44, 633 splits - Serena had a long run of 1hr
45min and no progressive run today, which was good. Neither one of us
was in the mood for one of those, as I was using this as a post-race
recovery run...so we took it easy and not press the pace really.
Started at the soccer fields and then headed out to the Katy Trail and went
West towards Greens Bottoms before we turned around and headed back.
Weather was awesome and we chatted the whole way. I took my water
bottle with me just in case since it was to be a longer run and the last
progressive run I did with her for 1hr 40min I was really feeling it not
having anything with me. Good day
- Weekly Total - 59.55 miles
March 16th - March 22nd: HS Spring Break
- Mon - 5.5 mi from St. Joseph Church
- 7:22, 6:54, 6:41, 6:32, 6:24, 3:07(6:14pace) splits -
nice and easy run after working 10-8 back on my old stompin' grounds around
Manchester/Ballwin area, felt great. Weather was nice out as well.
- Tue - 3 mi w/ Serena on cool down - BAD RUN!
- After dinner last night my stomach acted funny, and
waking up today and working I felt nausea and the stomach just didn't feel
right. By track practice I had felt a little better after going to
Urgent Care, and went through practice fine. Serena ran a workout
during that time and as we all finished she asked if we would run a cool
down with her (20-25min) easy so we joined. My athlete only went 10min
till his dad came to pick him up and then it was just Serena and I, and it
became a huge struggle to finish that off as we ran a Dunhill loop. I
really wanted to just walk as I felt entirely drained and dehydrated
(despite drinking plenty of water on a daily basis) by the time we finished
I was pale and dizzy. I just sat in the parking lot for almost an hour
before I felt comfortable to drive home and once there I just went to bed
for 12 hours...a marathon feels 10x better than the way I felt today.
This sucks...guess my body wants some down time.
- Wed - 0 mi - resting, still feeling the same
- Thu - 0 mi - resting...some improvement
- Fri - 0 mi, more rest, feeling better
- Sat - 6.41 mi | 5mi AM @ the Social Run then extra 1.41mi
at nearby park exploring paved trail
- Took it easy on the social run and ran with the group
this morning, felt much better than Tuesday's run as I avg 6:49mi pace.
On the drive home a paved trail caught my eye near Gravois so I drove around
looking for that park and then ran one loop around the path to see how long
it was - roughly a 2K loop if you take out the little out and back section,
not bad. Might be handy for workouts or some tempo runs down the road.
The out and back section goes under Gravois which is nice as that opens it
up for some longer road runs from the park back out towards Watson Road.
- Sun - 10.08 mi @ Grant's Trail before work easy
- 6:12, 6:01, 6:03, 5:51, 5:51, 5:53, 5:50, 5:56, 5:59,
5:54, 0:25(5:37pace) splits - relaxed easy run just listening to the ipod,
felt very good. I glanced at the watch just before the 5 mile mark and
saw what time I was at and what pace that came to be...so I figured why not
just keep rolling along and see what happens as it didn't feel that fast,
plus I made some games as I used some rollerbladers and slow bikers as
pacers which was fun. Definitely seems that the sickness from Tuesday
is gone as no problems there - I think I needed this sort of run more for a
mental stand point. Weather was awesome...still don't like Grant's
Trail though, too boring, I like to only run this if I am doing a loop and
it is part of it. Worked 1-5 afterwards.
- Weekly Total - 24.99 miles
March 23rd - March 29th:
- Mon - 0 mi
- Tue - 8 mi @ MHS - Target loop back via
- 6:57, 6:30, 6:10, 5:58, 6:14, 6:02, 5:55, 6:09 splits -
felt good, took it easy and enjoyed the weather. Had rained most of
the day but by the time practice was over it was perfect out with the sun
shining. Great time for a run!
- Wed - 5.56 mi @ Chubb Trail before work
- 8:06, 8:31, 7:17, 6:57, 6:34, 3:39(6:35pace) splits -
tried out my new trail shoes, the Paragons and ran the Chubb trail in West
Tyson, just did the loop there which came out to be roughly 3.7mi - the rest
I added on by running out to Route 66 park and back then off to work.
- Thu - 10.37 mi @ Green Rock Trail from Six Flags
- 9:03, 8:10, 7:34, 7:37, 7:50, 7:31, 8:09, 7:17, 7:30,
7:52, 2:33(6:54pace) splits - easy trail run on Green Rock starting at the
south trail head near Six Flags, ran to Greensfelder Park and did a loop in
there before heading back. Trails were great despite the rain Tuesday.
Got a tiny blister from the shoes simply since I hadn't really run long like
this yet. Nice and rolling hills!
- Fri - 0 mi, track meet and work
- Sat - 0 mi, miserable day and wimped out from standing 3
hrs in cold rain and wind
- Sun - 11.23 mi @ CHFF Woodchip Trail loop
- 7:03, 6:46, 6:37, 6:45, 6:42, 6:43, 6:02, 6:36, 6:24,
5:58, 6:09, 1:25(6:17pace) splits - easy adventure run after working in CH.
Intent was to run my Wildhorse Creek loop to 109 and back for 10 miles, but
2mi in I decided to scrap that and just go explore some of the side streets
and see where they lead, good thing too! The second street I took lead
me to find a sweet ass wood chip trail that is roughly 2K in length one way!
Runs right alongside a creek and is set away in a wooded area, it is
perfect. Not entirely flat though as it has some steep but short pop
ups followed by downhills so you can still keep momentum to some degree.
I ran along the road some more at the end till I hit 6mi in my run which
came after heading up a huge ass hill, then turned back and took the trail
back to where it starts and then ran directly back to the store to find out
roughly how far it is (I cut out my other adventurous detours so it wouldn't
be an exact 12 out and back run) and turns out that it is roughly 3mi from
the store. Good run
- Weekly Total - 35.16 miles
March 30th - April 5th:
- Mon - 4.22 mi @ APT RD Greenway to Gravois and back
- 7:16, 6:56, 6:36, 6:15, 1:22(6:13pace) splits - easy run
from apt after work. Crappy run as it was windy as hell going out and
my legs just felt like blah. Even on the way back going with the wind
just didn't feel right for some reason...
- Tue - 0 mi, rest day and right ankle feeling weird...
- Wed - 8.45 mi @ Castlewood w/ Billy, made Fig Eight loop
- 7:35, 6:57, 9:11, 8:02, 7:44, 7:47, 7:24, 7:55,
3:02(6:47pace) splits - easy run as we cruised the trails and made up a new
loop since parts of the trail were flooded. Surprisingly it wasn't
really muddy despite the flooding.
- Thu - 8.32 mi @ Castlewood w/ Serena new Fig Eight loop
- 7:21, 7:01, 8:55, 7:52, 7:55, 7:51, 7:20, 8:03,
2:10(6:48pace) splits - easy run as we did the same loop Billy and I ran
only minus the little detours which made it a little shorter distance wise.
- Fri - 3 mi @ MHS before practice
- 6:52, 6:30, 6:06 splits - ran easy Germann loop before
practice plus 2 laps on track to get 3mi, then drills and 5x150m strides.
After work in the evening I came back for an ice bath.
- Sat - 16.11 mi | Meet Me At
Meramec 5K = 16:15, 1st overall AM plus 2mi w/u and 1mi c/d, 10mi
PM @ Creve COeur Lake
- 6:50, 6:31 splits - warm up around campus
- 5:02, 5:18, 5:24, 0:33(4:52pace)
splits - 5K race, goal was to try and get after a 16 flat pace so
aim around 5:00 or so first mile and see what happens. Started off
good as I quickly seperated myself from everyone but on the 2nd loop of the
course (2 loops) I obvsiouly slowed WAY down...not too thrilled with the
time but I held on for the win and ended up being a course record actually
(old one was 17:36 from 2007!). For my cool down I basically jogged a
mile or so and that was it.
- 6:49, 6:01, 6:07, 6:08, 5:48, 5:43, 5:49, 6:03, 5:57,
6:04 splits - easy run to my ipod at Creve Coeur Lake in the afternoon to be
as a shakeout run. Weather was awesome save for the freakish wind -
basically the first 4 miles was head on into a nasty wind where I literally
thought I was going to be blown away, it was ridiculous! I found some
roller bladers that I chased down and had fun with but I don't think I would
have run the times I did had it not been for the music to fall back on
during those windy segments, that helped get through that moment by keeping
my mind on something other than how miserable I felt in the wind. :)
I ran one outer loop and an inner loop plus some in parking lot to get the
10 miles. Legs felt perfect as I didn't feel like I was running those
times! Hope this doesn't drain me for tomorrow...
- Sun - 11.04 mi | Renaud Spirit
Center 5K = 16:25 @ 3.2mi, 1st overall AM plus 4.84mi w/u and 3mi
- Warm up consisted of 3.34mi easy, drills and some
stretching, then another 1.5mi to get 4.84mi total before the race.
Weather looked good once again!
- 5:07, 5:06, 5:16, 0:56(4:49pace) splits @ 3.2 miles -
race actually ended up being just over a 5K distance which really sucked for
my time as going back over my pace, the 5K split would roughly be about
16:00 which was right where I wanted to be at....oh well....another day I
guess. I felt MUCH more relaxed and smooth in this race than
yesterday. Perhaps it was the fact that at the start I let all the
little kids line up first and take off and then worked my way around them
all...or what I don't know. The plan was to try and slow that first
mile down to around 5:10ish - they had the first half mile marked so I
glanced at the time and saw 2:35 (5:10pace), perfect. I had a stalker
till about 3/4 of that first mile before he faded from me and then finished
over a minute behind me at the end. Even though my time was slower in
the results, actual pace wise was faster today than yesterdays (5:07 vs
- 7:46, 7:08, 6:57 splits - cool down I did out in CH on
the gravel trails to the ipod. The legs really didn't want to move on
this but towards the end I felt better. I was glad I got something in
at least since I didn't do jack after the race, just sat around and drank.
- Weekly Total - 51.14 miles