January 2009 Training
December 29th - January 4th:
- Monday - 8.03 mi from apt before work (Francis Park/Welmore
Park/River Des Peres trail)
- 7:01, 6:32, 6:26, 6:17, 6:19, 6:17, 6:20, 6:21,
0:14(6:33pace) splits - easy run.
- Tuesday - 5.04 mi @ SC Fleet Feet Social Run w/ Jeff
- 6:15, 6:15, 5:53, 5:48, 6:24, 0:14(5:57pace) splits -
from 4.5 to 4.75 I slowed up and waited for Jeff to catch back up and
finished together, most likely would have easily been under 6min on the 5th
mile. Good run overall, windy as hell though final 1.5mi or so.
- Wednesday - 6.29 mi from the Fenton store after work
- 6:33, 6:40, 6:03, 6:16, 6:29, 5:57, 1:47(6:04pace) splits
- ran most of the FE social run loop but added on. Some good hills on
this, took it easy after working 10-4. Nice weather out.
- Thursday - 0 mi
- Friday - 7.13 mi @ Chubb Trail before work
- 7:10, 6:22, 6:18, 6:19, 6:36, 6:41, 6:48, 0:51(6:44pace)
splits - easy run on trails, footing for the most part pretty good but as
the ground was thawing some parts became slippery and due to flooding over
the summer a section has washed away causing a new hilly path in the trail.
Felt fine, but this run hurt me towards the end of Saturday's run I think.
- Saturday - 6.31 mi @ FE Fleet Feet Social Run (ran same
loop as Wed)
- 6:36, 6:40, 6:14, 6:34, 6:36, 5:44, 1:54(6:15pace) splits
- about 4.5mi the right front lateral shin began to hurt
(feeling when you flex it) - figure this is probably a result from
yesterdays run on the trail, might have worked those stabilizer muscles prety good. Ice bath after work, helped temporary but then it hurt
real bad again later - wore my Zensah sleeves to bed to see if that would
- Sunday - 0 mi - intended to run a longer run @ Castlewood
before work but didn't want to push my luck on the leg. I awoke and it
felt much better, probably feeling 95-99% but it wasn't gone entirely...so I
opted to try wearing the sleeves all day at work and see how it felt walking
around a bunch. I still got plenty of time before the marathon to get
back from this so not worried.
- Weekly Total - 32.8 miles
January 5th - January 11th:
- Mon - 8.12 mi @ Castlewood "MICKEY MOUSE" loop before
- 6:29, 6:01, 6:08, 6:06, 6:06, 6:06, 5:56, 5:52,
0:43(5:53pace) splits - felt good. Relaxed normal run and the right
leg felt fine, no pain like Saturday.
- Tue - 5.2 mi @ Cedar Woods loop from apt after work
- 6:58, 6:38, 6:30, 6:15, 6:16, 1:14(6:20pace) splits -
easy run after working 10-8. Body was tired and really didn't want to
run but made a new loop.
- Wed - 5.14 mi @ Forest 44 before work
- 8:09, 8:48, 9:40, 8:00, 6:11, 0:51(6:01pace) splits -
very easy run as the most of the footing was rough with horse tracks, fallen
leaves covering tree limbs and holes, along with rocks large and small.
I just ran the perimeter loop here, this is similar to Queeny in the fact
you can connect all the trails with inner loops, and the footing got much
better for that 5th mile where it was more like the Al Foster path (gravel
path) where I could open up my stride more and just roll. Everything
else had steep up and down hills mixed with treacherous footing - from 1.5mi
on the profanities became abundant with each roll of the ankle (one step
after another!). Wasn't worried on pace as I knew it would be slow,
otherwise I did enjoy this run to some degree. Right by a horse ranch
so it was cool watching them run around - definitely have to come back some
day with my camera.
- Thu - 16.12 mi total | Castlewood in the afternoon then
CH Social Run at night w/ Serena
- 10.62mi @ Castlewood - normal run, added on the Lone Wolf
trail to my Sherman Beach loop (added on .68mi roughly) and just cruised
along comfortably. Felt really strong at the end and wanted to do more
but stopped since I don't need to increase my mileage crazy this week and I
was going to run w/ Serena later.
7:00, 6:10, 5:56, 6:01, 6:08, 5:58, 5:53, 5:58, 5:50, 5:49, 3:40(5:57pace)
- 5.5mi @ Social Run w/ Serena - didn't wear the garmin but
the run is 5 miles and we added on 2min more heading out so she would get
her 40min total (we finished 40:21). At our pace that extra 2min had
to at least be a quarter of a mile as we weren't crawling and I know myself
now to be able to guess we had to be in the mid to low 7min range easily -
she ran very well for her first week back to running since Boyd! Felt
great to have the company as we talked the whole way. Great turn out
for the social run as well as many new faces along with some regulars!
Legs felt good and the pizza and drinks after tasted yummy! :)
- Fri - 6.26 mi @ Castlewood w/ Adam Behnke
- 8:01, 7:41, 7:16, 6:53, 6:51, 7:10, 1:48(6:54pace) splits
- easy run for 45 min (45:42) around the trails at the park. Compared
to yesterday it was sloppy and muddy all over - due to the 55-60 degree
weather thawing out the ground! Felt like summer which was awesome.
We just ran pretty easy as we ran along some of the hills and flat sections.
- Sat - 15.25 mi total | FE Social Run in the morning then
Green Rock Trail @ Rockwoods w/ Billy in the afternoon
- 5mi @ Social Run - easy run, really wanted to sleep in
today as I was out late the night before. Ran first 1.5-2mi with
another guy there who is running the Surf City Half-Marathon coming up, then
he dropped back off the pace some and I waited till after the wind to fall
into my own pace. Okay run, nothing hard.
- 10.25 mi @ Green Rock Trail w/ Billy in afternoon - this
was to be just an easy fun run on the trails, as this path is pretty tough
at times and hilly as hell. Billy had never been here so we ran out a
little over 5mi before turning back. Good run overall as we talked
most of the way as we just ran for fun. Legs felt really good on this
though...so provided the weather co-operates we had talked about possibly
parking at both ends and just run one way at some point (this is a 10mi
trail one direction)...we shall see.
- Sun - 0 mi, rest day
- Took the day off as I went way over the mileage I had
planned for this week - feeling great, but didn't want to add any more.
With the marathon coming up I hope to keep things in the 40 range or so, it
is getting a little difficult at times to keep the mileage down as my body
gets into shape - find myself wanting to run a little more or longer at
times...I am holding myself back for now as I don't want to get back to the
high mileage just yet. This week does however mark my highest mileage
since the Mardi Gras Marathon almost a year ago! Wow...far cry from
the 120-145 mile weeks...but I am not missing all those that much to be
honest. One day I may get back up there, but for now I am content and
happy with what I am doing.
- Weekly Total - 56.09 miles
January 12th - January 18th: Arctic temps moved in on
Wednesday night into Thursday - COLD!
- Mon - 4.54 mi @ Metro Link / Francis Park loop
- 7:00, 6:34, 6:30, 6:21, 3:24(6:18pace) splits - easy
shakeout run basically from the apt before work today. Ran up to the
Metro Link via the paved path, cut over and back on the gravel path then
headed over to Francis Park for one perimeter loop and headed back home,
taking the gravel path back up to the Metro Link and back to the apt via the
paved path. Good run and felt comfortable.
- Tue - 6.15 mi @ MHS - Lix loop
- 6:47, 6:17, 5:46, 5:37, 5:34, 5:45, 0:51(5:36pace) splits
- normal run after interview from school. Once I hit Hutchison I
decided to gradually increase my pace a bit and just let it go...in some
ways this could be a "mini" marathon pace run for the final 4 miles.
Felt good and kept everything in control and stayed relax - just rolled
along the pavement effortlessly. Weather wasn't too bad either.
- Wed - 9.64 mi @ Green Rock Trail from Greensfelder Park
- 8:21, 7:33, 8:11, 8:04, 8:41, 8:50, 7:56, 8:01, 8:02,
5:10(8:01pace) splits - easy recovery run basically starting in Greensfelder
Park and took the Green Rock Trail to the other end where it hits Fox Creek
road - that was the first time I ever ran this portion of the trail, ended
up being about 4.08mi or so from where I started to the next parking lot,
then I turned back intending to go back the same way I came - go figure that
with less than a half mile to go I took a wrong turn and got myself lost,
adding on almost a good 2 miles more than I intended to run! Worked
out for the best anyway I think as I at least explored some more trails and
the footing was a little better on that final section than had I gone the
correct way (very rocky and uphill). Felt really good though despite a
few instances where I really worked the lower ankles - probably be feeling
- Thu - 5 mi @ FF Social Run in CH
- 6:29, 6:03, 5:52, 5:45, 5:45 splits - VERY cold and windy
(temps feeling about -1 or so because of the wind). Broke out the CW-X
tights, which also would be helpful as I was feeling it along the lateral
shins in both legs (from yesterday ofcourse) so those would provide some
compression at least while keeping me warm. Wore the sunglasses and
face mask to help with the breathing on the way out as I ran into the wind,
coming back was a little nicer so took off the glasses as they tended to fog
up from breathing in the face mask. Treated this run like a normal
pace effort - so very pleased with the outcome as it didn't feel like I was
straining to run 5:45-5:50 pace, plus I felt like I could have continued
more afterwards, this is good. Kept it at just the 5 though, as we
grabbed pizza and drinks afterwards - this has now become a Thursday ritual
for me I guess...plus it ensures I get at least 5 miles in during the week!
- Fri - 8.5 mi @ MHS after work
- 53:35 overall time - no garmin tonight (forgot it) so
just cruised along on my UNO's loop from school. Felt pretty good,
little bit warmer then the night before but still a bit cold. Glanced
at the splits towards the end at the final 800m and was on 6 flat pace
feeling easy. Recovery run from the night before basically.
- Sat - 5 mi @ FF Social Run in FE
- 6:49, 7:01, 6:31, 7:08, 6:17 splits - early morning run
that I really didn't want to do. Sat in my car while it warmed up
staring at the flag that was perfectly straight in the wind...to think I had
just finished my run last night by 10pm and now running this at 7am...ugh,
this was definitely more of a laid back run for sure. The slower miles
were the ones with the big hills, didn't bother to push on those.
Bread Co. afterwards tasted good though at least! After work I got in
the ice bath up at school which felt nice.
- Sun - 10 mi @ Castlewood Sherman Beach loop w/ Billy
- 7:04, 6:41, 6:54, 6:44, 6:33, 6:26, 6:29, 6:27, 6:17,
6:23 splits - easy fun run at 10am on the trails. Weather was nicer
than previous days - feels like a heat wave being in the 30s again!
Talked most of the way and just cruised along, definitely felt like I could
have gone on much longer! Grabbed breakfast at my parents place before
heading to work. Hit my goal mileage for the week at least this time
around (48miles) so that was good. 2 more weeks and I am on the
beach!!! : )
- Weekly Total - 48.83 miles
January 19th - January 25th:
- Mon - 0 mi - resting day
- Tue - 6.54 mi @ SC Social Run
- 6:23, 6:23, 6:03, 5:47, 5:51, 5:51, 3:06(5:47pace) splits
- easy run after work, really didn't want to run for some reason tonight.
Plan was to run with someone tonight but didn't hear anything, so it was to
be a solo run...and I just wasn't really motivated...so I talked myself in
to driving all the way out to SC for the social run there knowing at least
other people would be out running and maybe that would at least get me going
- unfortunately Jeff was not there tonight so no one to run with, I can't
win. After about 3-3.5mi into the run I opted to extend it and on my
way back I took a right at the church and ran one of my older loops from
when I used to work out here more often (this was at 3.75mi into the run) -
that added on basically 1.54mi. Overall though I felt very relaxed and
smooth out there, so looking back over the splits and how they felt was
happy with it, especially since this is a hilly loop.
- Wed - 8.22 mi w/ Billy and AJ
- 7:04, 7:07, 6:54, 6:54, 6:48, 6:33, 6:40, 6:34,
1:30(6:59pace) splits - had a staff meeting at 7:30am, ran from Billy's
house afterwards and ran along the common ground near MHS, then back through
the golf course before turning back. Nice easy run, windy on the way
out - despite being sunny and warmer than the last few days my hands froze
bad due to the wind, sucked. AJ's getting ready for his half-marathon
this weekend so just chilled with them, good run.
- Thu - 14.76 mi | 11.76mi TRACK
WORKOUT afternoon then 3mi @ FF Social Run
- Got my new racing flats (Mizuno Ronin 2) today and opted
to try them out for a test run on the track to see if I might wear them for
the marathon - they were awesome! Created the workout at the last
minute, and wanted to do something that kinda would mimic my marathon
strategy a bit (starting out slow and get used to switching gears late in
the race). I chose a 2 mile to be run at normal to slightly tempo pace
(5:40-6:00 range) followed by 4xMile at slightly faster than marathon pace
(5:30ish range) and then finished with 4x800 to be quicker but smooth and
fluid, something quick but not all out (2:30ish range). Ran a 2 mile
warm up to Pod's house and back from school, and my cool down was 1 mile in
reverse on the track easy jogging. I took just slightly over 3 minutes
rest after the 2mi - jogged a lap for the rest period. Everything else
I took 1 minute rest to keep the heart rate up and not get too relaxed.
Felt great and went perfectly - only time I looked at my watch was after the
first lap of the 2 mile, the rest of the workout I did not check splits at
all and just ran on perceived effort.
- 2 mile: 5:44 / 5:42 = 11:26 (felt
slow and easy, just out for a normal run basically)
- 4 x Mile: 5:24 / 5:33 / 5:23 / 5:22
(easy, not sure what happened on the 2nd one as nothing felt different,
apparently I was too relaxed...)
- 4 x 800: 2:34 / 2:35 / 2:36 / 2:32
(ran fairly even pace/effort wise on all and just cruised along)
- 21:46 (7:15 pace) - For the Social Run I opted to cut it
short and just get in 3 miles easy as the workout did put in more mileage
than I anticipated for the day...ran back in the group this time and turned
back at 1.5 and ran on the gravel path. Forgot to switch back on the
lap splits for the garmin so just have the total time and pace. Pizza
and drinks afterwards as usual! : )
- Fri - 8.66 mi @ Valley Park trails w/ Serena
- 6:57, 6:38, 6:33, 6:34, 6:36, 6:37, 6:34, 6:30,
4:22(6:37pace) splits - nice and easy run, legs felt fine after yesterday
which is good. Ran from 141 out to Simpson park along the pave paths,
did the out and back along the lake and then continued out past the ball
fields to the end of the path and then headed back to where we started.
Felt relaxed, then had to grab a quick bite as had to go to work early for
- Sat - 6.91 mi @ Forest Park w/ Serena (her
- Met Serena along Wydown as she was running a 15min easy /
40min hard / 15min easy workout - I was going to join her on the 40min hard
and help pace a little as she wasn't sure how fast to go...so I just jogged
out till when I met her, then joined in and as we got a little into Forest
Park was when we started the 40min segment and I began my watch.
Overall I thought it went very well for her, despite her having a rough
outing (looking back at it we basically did a 3-2-1 type of workout as we
took 2 minor pauses during, but we finished it and she held close to the
same paces on all which was very impressive!) We finished the 40min at
the Visitor Center so we jogged the remainder cool down back to my car and I
drove her back to where she parked - I didn't count that running either, so
all in all I probably got closer to 9-9.5 today but I'm only counting the
tempo segment of it. :) For myself this run felt perfect for
what I want to do with the marathon - paces are most likely what I am
looking to start out at if not just a smidge slower....but who knows, that
6:00 pace may not be that hard this time around, I felt like I could have
just clipped this off all day long....plus I am itching to race again, been
since Dec 27th now and watching a little bit of the Frostbite Race while we
ran made me wish I was out there.....1 more week!
- 5:58, 6:03, 5:52, 1:24(6:16pace) = 3.22
- 0:50(6:46pace) = .12 mi easy before jumping back into
the fast pace
- 6:07, 6:16, 1:10(6:14pace) = 2.19 mi
- 1:32(7:17pace) = .21 mi easy before jumping back into
- 5:59, 1:01(6:02pace) = 1.17 mi
- Sun - 0 mi - took the day off as I hit my mileage goal
already for the week and no need to over due it, plus it was my birthday so
I slept in and awoke to lots of snow! :) AJ PR'd by 8min in his
half marathon today down in TX, so that was awesome.
- Weekly Total - 45.09 miles
January 26th - February 1st: SURF CITY MARATHON
- Mon - 9.43 mi @ FE store before work
- 6:44, 6:48, 6:31, 6:26, 6:20, 6:45, 6:33, 6:10, 6:00,
2:27(5:43pace) splits - starting from the store ran out the same way as the
social run, then went right on Bowles to Fenway instead of left. The 6
mile mark was right when I rejoined the social run loop at the top of the
final uphill and then ran it in reverse, excluding the little out and back
section. Good run overall, just kinda took it easy.
- Tue - 4.76 mi @ 24-Hr Fitness w/ Serena
- Weather was really bad as snow/sleet moved in late Monday
and then heavy snow all day long - roads really bad to drive on so ended up
running on the treadmill with Serena at the gym - I hate treadmills, at
least this way I would have company. I got there late due to traffic
and having to grab some clothes so I only got in the final 30min with Serena
as she already had been running when I got there. Just jumped on and
ran first mile @ 9mph, then bumped it up to 9.5mph for a few minutes before
raising it to 10mph and left it there the rest of the time - felt nice and
easy as we talked most of the time. Also ran into Jay Orr towards the
end of my run.
- Wed - 3.09 mi from apt before work
- 7:48, 6:36, 6:17, 0:36(7:09pace) splits - Started out
along the paved path but that was entirely covered in shin deep snow so
worked my way over to Watson and took that to Jamieson and ran along there
and back since the roads were pretty decent.
- Thu - 0 mi, Leave for CA!
- Fri - 5.89 mi @ Laguna Canyon Conservation
- Intended to get in a nice easy run on some trails but
after 1.5mi into it that was not gonna happen - the path basically went
straight uphill after that. Fun and cool run to go on, but was
definitely a quad killer as I had to come back down the hill - I later
grabbed the camera at the end of the run and went back up it to take photos!
I threw time out the window after seeing it took me 11+ min for one of the
miles...so I just ran distance basically.
- Sat - 5.57 mi @ Santa Ana from cousin's apt
- 6:52, 6:24, 6:32, 6:42, 6:37, 3:43(6:31pace) splits -
Grabbed breakfast then headed to the expo. After that I ran from
Steph's place and kept it flat along the sidewalks, towards the end I found
a park that had about .5mi perimeter gravel/dirt path before heading back to
finish. Good run although I could really feel it in the quads from
- Sun - 26.36 mi - SURF CITY
- 6:12, 5:59, 5:43, 5:47, 5:38, 5:29, 5:31, 5:34, 5:50,
5:44, 5:48, 6:01, 5:54, 5:49, 5:51, 5:41, 5:46, 5:58, 6:19, 6:13, 6:01,
6:06, 6:00, 6:10, 6:00, 6:01, 2:03(5:39pace) splits - 94sec PR @ 2:35:20 for
3rd overall and 1st in my age group. After 3 miles I was on my own the
rest of the race, 5min back from 2nd and 7+min ahead of 4th. Felt very
comfortable and relaxed on this run as I enjoyed watching the waves along
the ocean until miles 18-19 when I got the feeling to use the restroom -
that forced me to slow my pace a bit to fight that off as I wasn't going to
stop at that point. That feeling came and went the rest of the way but
somehow I managed to fight it off. They had chip timing as well so
below are the splits I got from that - some of their mile markers were way
off, either too far apart or too close at times and they had no
half-marathon split which kinda sucked, but I think I was around
1:15:50-1:16:00 range based on my pace through 13 miles.
- 3 mile = 18:02 (6:01pace)
- 6 mile = 34:53 (5:49pace) - 16:51 3mi
- 12.2 mile = 1:11:19 (5:51pace) - 36:26
- 20 mile = 1:56:43 (5:51pace)
- 26.2 mile = 2:35:20 (5:56pace) - 38:37
- Weekly Total - 55.1 miles